Valdemarsviks kommuns logotyp
Du är här: Welcome to Valdemarsvik!

Welcome to Valdemarsvik!

Valdemarsvik lies in the southeastern part of the province of Östergötland. The E22 trunk road passes through its center, linking the town with Norrköping, Västervik and Kalmar. From Valdemarsvik, all the main population centers of the region are within easy reach. The distance to Söderköping is 40 km, Norrköping 54 km, Linköping 87 km and Västervik 68 km. The map shows the whole municipality of Valdemarsvik with its urban and rural districts, in addition to many cultural landmarks and other points of interest.

Situated on the Baltic, Valdemarsvik has almost 700 kilometers of coastline. Including its many lakes, over half the area of the municipality consists of water, offering outstanding opportunities for bathing, fishing and boa- ting. Here, the visitor can discover the old seal-culling hamlet of Harstena, the fishing community of Fyrudden and the former center of Skeppsgården.

The archipelagoes of Gryt and Tjust have often been regarded as among the most beautiful in Europe. However, visitors to the area should respect the vulnerable seal colonies and bird life. In the islands as well as the waters around them, access within 100 meters of the shore is prohibited at certain times of the year. It is important to remember this.

Mainland and island communities

In 1971, Ringarum, Valdemarsvik, Gryt and part of Tjust-Ed were merged into a single municipality, comprising both urban and rural districts, as well as many of the islands along the coast. Valdemarsvik became the center of the new municipality and an administrative seat. In 1975, Parliament decided that the archipelago of Gryt should become part of a primary recreational area, with planned development of outdoor leisure activities and tourism.

The area around Valdemarsvik offers many opportunities for outdoor leisure pursuits and exercise, and is known for its fine, varied scenery and unique coastal archipelago. Some 9,000 people live and work in these beautiful surroundings.

History

In early times, the area where most of Valdemarsvik now stands was covered by water. The parish of Gryt was an archipelago and all the islands were beneath the surface. Later, the land level rose and the waters receded. The countryside began to be cultivated and a permanent population was established at the beginning of the Bronze Age, about 1.500 B. C. The village of Wammar lay north of the present center of Valdemarsvik and is considered to be the origin of later development in the area. The name "Wammar" was mentioned in 1383 in a parchment from Borkhult archives, when it was spelt "Wagmare". The fjord below Wammar was named Vammarsviken, later becoming Valdemarsvik. Much has been written about the archipelagoes of Gryt and Tjust, whose history is both bloody and tragic. Ships has foundered in the rocks in furious storms, Vikings have fought off invaders from their settlements, and at Barösund in Gryt, King Amund Olofson of Sweden and King Olof the Holy of Norway stood face to face after the battle of Helge ån in 1027. It was in the same waters that King Sigismund of Poland landed with 27 ships carrying Hungarian, German and Scottish soldiers in 1598. The castle of Fogelvik at the mouth of the Valdemarsvik fjord has its own history, characterized by King Karl Knutsson Bonde, who declared:

"While I was master of Fogelvik I was both powerful and rich.

As King of Svealand and Götaland I was a poor, unhappy man".

The new age of industrialism made its appearance also in Valdemarsvik. The town soon developed into a port and a market was established by the harbour as early as the 1630s. The first industry -copper smelting at Vammarsmålaån -was started in the middle of the 18th century. Copper ore was minded on the island of Fångö in Gryt. The smelting plant in Valdemarsvik was closed during the 1870s, but at the same time one of the small tanneries developed into a major company. Lundberg"s leather factory with its 600 employees became the core of the community. In 1960 this too was closed, a severe blow to the municipality, as a result of increasing manufacture of shoes from materials other than leather and al so because of imports of cheap shoes. However, Valdemarsvik rose to its feet again and today light engineering and service companies are the main industrial and business activities

Valdemarsvik today

Valdemarsvik is the center of the region, with most business life being focused on the main street, Storgatan. Commerce in the old market square, Salutorget, still flourishes and every October there is a large street fair, preserving a tradition dating back several hundred years. A business park, Vammar Köpcenter, has been built on the northern approach to the town. Because of the large difference in land levels, much of Valdemarsvik"s housing has expanded onto the surrounding hillsides

Recreation, bathing and camping

There are bathing facilities in the lakes as well as the inlets along the coast.
Valdemarsvik has three attractive and well-kept camping grounds. All offer excellent service with friendly, helpful staff dedicated to making sure their guests enjoy their stay.

Grännäs Camping

Grännäs Camping is located 1 km southeast of the town center. The camping ground is well equipped with an amenities building, comfortable rental cabins, rooms, electric points for caravans, bathing, a sports ground with football pitches and tennis courts, recreation park, boat and canoe rentals and restaurant with a fine panorama over the fjord between Valdemarsviken and the Baltic. The extensive recreation area covers 3 hectares and has a frisbee golf course and fine rambling trails leading to the town center via a scenic coastal walkway.

Eköns Camping

Eköns Camping lies 2 km from the village of Gryt and has an amenities building, rental cabins, electric points for caravans, mini-shop, cafeteria, miniature golf, boat rentals, rambling trail and excellent sea bathing. The area is classified as a nature reserve and is situated on a head- land with a superb view of the outer archipelago. To the north and south, the long shingle beach gives way to bathing cliffs polished by ice in prehistoric times. The recreation area of Ekön has a beauty that is almost unique.

Yxningens Camping

Yxningens Camping lies on lake Yxningen. Here visitors are served by an amenities building, rental cabins, electric points for caravans, minishop, cafeteria, miniature golf, and boat and canoe rentals. There is excellent bathing in the clear waters of the lake, which also supplies water to the communities of Gusum, Ringarum and Valdemarsvik.

Open air bathing

There is open air bathing at the above camping grounds and also at Tostebosjön, Vindommen, Rånen, Tjen, Skeppsgården and Sandgärdet in Gryt. The long coastline has many rocky stretches as well as sandy coves where the visitor can relax in complete peace and quiet.

Boat trips to the islands

During the summer, there are excellent opportunities for exploring the beauty of Gryt archipelago by boat. There are many possibilities for one to see the archipelago. Everything from short tours of a few hours to complete cruises.

Visitors’ harbors and Tourist Information Office

The visitors harbor in Valdemarsvik is located at the head of the inlet close to the town center. Several banks, public telephones, wine and spirits store and service facilities for boats are all within easy reach. The harbor also has a filling station on the quayside. Near- by is an amenities building with showers and a laundry room. The Tourist Information Office located in the town center offers information on events and activities to make your stay all the more enjoyable.

On the fairway at Fyrudden, east of Gryt, is a visitors’ harbor with showers, a laundry room, filling station and ramp. There are also several shops and a restaurant. From Fyrudden, buses go to Valdemarsvik, which has convenient connections with Norrköping and Västervik.

Fishing and the Right of Public Access

Many of the lakes in the municipality are controlled by fishing associations. Fishing permits can be obtained for most waters, including Yxningen and Vindommen. For details, contact the Tourist Information Office. In the archipelago, angling is unrestricted. There are pike, herring, eel, salmon, sander and perch to be caught. Fishing from a boat is permitted only if the boat is not moving. In some parts of the archipelago, land access is restricted at certain times of the year, a restriction that also applies to waters within 100 meters from the shore. Fishing is also forbidden within 100 meters of fish farms and equipment mar- ked by a pole with a yellow cross at the top. Unrestricted fishing is an extension of the Public Right of Access, but it also means responsibilities both on the water and on land. Naturally visitors must not leave litter or take more fish than they need. Neither may fish be left behind on the shore.
The Right of Public Access allows people to roam freely in the forests and open countryside, bathe from beaches and rocks, pick wild flowers, mushrooms and berries, sail in private waters and so on. This is a long established rule and it is important to observe it. At the same time, everyone has a duty towards the flora and fauna, their fellow human beings and the world they share. People are not allowed to walk over private grounds, nor over fields or growing crops that may be damaged. Certain flowers, such as orchids, are also protected.
When it comes to cars, caravans, motorcycles and mopeds, there are nor Right of Access. Vehicles must be parked well away from sensitive areas.

Highlights of the archipelago

The archipelagos of Gryt and Tjust are among the most beautiful in Sweden. The hundreds of islands have a very special and sensitive fauna.

Well worth seeing are Fångögruvan and Harstena, an historic area recreating a fascinating picture of bygone island life with market farming, hunting and fishing. From Gubbö kupa, there is a panorama over the whole of Gryt archipelago. The nature reserve of Ämtö, with a chalet colony and natural harbor, is another good place for a trip. Dalaröset, probably the grave of a local chieftain, dates from the Bronze Age some 3.000 years ago. The cairn is also a navigation mark widely visible from the islands and is located at Dalaudden 5 km north of the village of Gryt.

Highlights on land

Lejonberget in Valdemarsvik offers a fascinating view of the town center and the 20 km long fjord of Valdemarsviken. Lejonberget is reached by the steps behind the parish hall behind the church. Flaggberget also has a fine panorama over the town and Valdemarsviken, as well as several Bronze Age graves. The viewpoint is reached from Ringvägen and a short walk up the hill. On the northern side of the hill next to the churchyard is an unusual and beautifully designed chapel, whose architect seems to have been inspired by the Bronze Age cairns on the steep slopes nearby. The homestead museums of Björkudden in Gryt and Åbäcksholm in Valdemarsvik are also worth visiting. Old implements and tools are on display and at Åbäcksholm there is a wagon museum. Metallslöjden, Bruksmuseet and Glashyttan in Gusum 10 km north of the town center are other places that should be visited.

Churches, castles and manors

Valdemarsvik Church was built in 1877. The exterior is reminiscent of the Gothic style and the building has a beautiful, high position.
Gusum Church is the oldest church in the area. It was completed in 1731 and is a simple timber structure with a separate bell tower.
Ringarum Church dates from 1777 and was built in the Gustavian style. It has been restored successively, the last time after a bad fire at the beginning of the century. The church has many interesting works of art, including a fine brass font from 1663 and candlesticks in various styles.
Tryserum Church is also in Gustavian style and was completed in 1785.
The Church at Östra Ed was severely damaged by fire in 1960, but later rebuilt. The spire is crowned with a pilot cutter, a symbol of the is- land parish and also of the role of the church in guiding people over the seas of time.
The church of Gryt is from 1798. The adjacent chapel contains a sacristy with medieval origins.
Interesting manors include Fogelvik from 1780s and Hornsberg in Tryserum from 1854. Please note that both are private property.

Hiking trail

There are many opportunities for those who want to get some recreation and exercise in the varied countryside with its forests, fields and meadows. On the islands as well as the mainland, there are attractive nature reserves offering a variety of possibilities to enjoy the scenery at its best. Several of the reserves have well marked hiking trails of various lengths.
"Östgötaleden" is the best-known trail. It starts at a cottage named "Banvallsstugan" in Valdemarsvik and follows a route towards Åtvidaberg to the west and Söderköping to the north. There are also branches to Gryt/Fyrudden and through Tryserum to the extensive nature reserves of Kvädö, Åsvik and Torrö.
At several places in the area, you will find excellent canoeing waters where you can glide a cross a surface as flat as glass -a wonderful experience for both mind and body. With care, it is also possible to enjoy canoeing among the islands. Contact the Tourist Information Office for maps and information.

Circular tours Plenty to see in Valdemarsvik

Gusum

Gusums Bruk in the parish of Ringarum was founded in the 17th century. Over the years, the metalworks came to play a dominating role in the local trade. The works were founded by a Dutchman, Henrik de Try, who manufactured cannons before concentrating on brass products.
Today the brass tradition is proudly carried on by Boliden Gusum AB. Production consists mainly of brass bar and copper tube.
The famous brass candlesticks, which made a considerable contribution to Gusum´s reputation, began to be made at the end of the 19th century and were a great success.
However, the quality and artistry that Gusum sought to maintain led to increasing costs and it became all the more difficult to compete with less expensive products. Consequently, the factory closed down during the 1920s.
Other products that have made the Gusum name well known include zip fasteners and sewing needles. Much of the company´s history and earlier products can be seen in the museum, Bruksmuseet, which also has displays of handcrafted products in brass, such as fine candlesticks and candelabras.
Next to the museum is Metallslöjden, which makes and sells handcrafted products in brass. Bruksmuseet and Metallslöjden are located in Syntorp on the E22 entering Gusum.

Glashyttan, in the middle of Gusum, is where the internationally recognized glass designer Milan Vobruba has his studio.
Gusum also offers the chance of bathing and other recreation. The beautiful camping ground on lake Yxningen should not be missed. Yxningen is known for its crystal clear waters and fine scenery. The Östgötaleden hiking trail passes by the camping ground.
There are also sports grounds and illuminated ski trails.

Ringarum

Ringarum is a small community in the northwest part of the municipality of Valdemarsvik. The present church was built partly on the site of a 14th century church and some of its works of art date from the medieval period. The porch contains a rune stone from about l050 AD.

The homestead museum in Ringarum is situated in a beautiful position on a hill one-kilometer northeast of the village.

To the northwest is Fyllingarum Manor, where Helena Ulfsdotter Snakenborg lived in the mid-16th century before she became a lady-in- waiting to Queen Elizabeth I in England. The nearby pavilion, "Burensköldska Bönekapellet, has some interesting inscriptions. Here, visitors will find not only a fascinating history but also very attractive surroundings for outdoor activities. Bathing facilities are provided at Tjenbadet, while the Ringvallen sports ground has football pitches and an illuminated ski trail.

Tryserum

The area around Tryserum has many prehistoric graves, as well as iron and copper mines bearing witness of ancient industries. Today, farming and forestry are the main activities, Visitors are welcome to look at the homestead museum by the church or simply to tour the pleasant countryside, Tryserum Church contains the graves of the Gyllenstierna and Horn families, who used to own Fogelvik. This was an historic community where Karl Knutsson Bonde, three times king of Sweden, once lived. In 1542, the manor was burned down by the followers of the rebel, Nils Dacke. The main building of the present manor, two kilometers north of the ruin, dates from the 1790s. During the mid-18th century, the father of Swedish music, Johan Helmich Roman, was a frequent guest at Fogelvik.

Västertryserum

Västertryserum contains the ruins of the old church of Tryserum, which was moved to its present location in 1785, and the Siverska building with part of the collections of Tryserum homestead association. Lake Vindommen has an area of 15 square kilometers and offers excellent fishing waters with good stocks of zander.

Skeppsgården/Östra Ed

The origins of Skeppsgården date back to the 1530 when a trading community was established here. From this picturesque little hamlet, cargos of oak were shipped to projects such as the building of the "Vasa" in Stockholm in 1625. The lord of Åsvik, Johan Skytte, sold 950 oak planks at 6 crowns apiece to the Swedish Navy. From Skeppsgården, a bridge leads a cross Edsviken to Östra Ed Church with its peculiar spire in the form of a pilot cutter. There is also a carriage and wagon museum, together with an interesting store of farm implements. Next to the church lies Åsvik Manor, which offers bed and breakfast accommodation. The manor is surrounded by a park and meadows with unusually impressive oak trees.

Today, Skeppsgården/Östra Ed is an outpost in the southern archipelago off the Baltic coast. It has bus service and harbor.

Östra Ed lies amid several nature reserves offering many opportunities to enjoy the countryside and hike along the "Östgötaleden" trail. The easily accessible waters make the area an eldorado for anglers throughout the year. Follow the road towards Långrådna and you will come to the entrance to the Åsvik nature reserve and "Östgötaleden" trail.

Gryt archipelago and Fyrudden

Those in search of relaxation by the sea should visit Gryt, with its wonderful archipelago. Gryt is a small village on the coast, with a good range of services. On the left-hand side approaching the center of the village is a market garden selling vegetables. There is also a small hotel in the traditional style of the islands. Fishing has been the mainstay of the local population throughout history. Since boats and fishing nets were expensive and were often damaged in storms, the fishermen organized themselves in teams to share both the costs and the risks of going to sea. Their catches were taken to the harbor at Häradsskär, which had facilities for smoke-curing and salting, as well as an inn that were open during the fishing season. Today, the most important harbor is Fyrudden, where there is a restaurant specializing in seafood. Boats depart from Fyrudden harbor for Harstena and other islands, and fishing trips can also be booked. Fyrudden has a visitors. Harbor with showers, toilets and laundry room.

Harstena is known for the seal culling that used to be carried on in by- gone times. Culling has been used since the earliest times both in Sweden and many other countries. Nowadays, it is prohibited in Sweden. Harstena has preserved the idyllic character of a hamlet in the outer- most islands, with cottages gathered around the common grazing land. The hamlet is well worth seeing, but visitors should show respect for the people living there and avoid intruding too closely on their privacy. During the summer, Harstena is a very popular destination for leisure boats.

From Gubbö kupa nearby Fångö, there is an outstanding panorama over the Gryt archipelago. At the numerous fish curers on Källskär, Harstena, Håskö, Skogsholmen and Tvärgrensholmen, visitors can buy cured fish or hand in their own catches for curing. The recreational area at Ekön is a very pretty area with facilities for bathing, camping and fishing.

King Valdemar"s Channel

The sailing channel along the east coast has been in use for over 700 years. In 1300, Danish monks were instructed by their king, Valdemar Sejr, or Seger in Swedish, to write a description of the route for easier navigation.

The channel was also used by trading ships, both Swedish, Danish and Hanseatic.
The reason why the Danish king ordered the chart was that Estonia had been a Danish possession since the beginning of the 13th century. The king realized the economic importance of good communications with distant colonies and making sea transport more efficient was a way of enforcing his authority even more firmly.
Today, boating people can follow King Valdemars channel and go ashore at historic places along the route. The channel is not marked in any special way, but information boards are being set up at important sites.

However, certain parts of the channel are not navigable by boats. Since King Valdemars days, the rise in the land level has resulted in so- me stretches of water becoming dry land.
On certain sections, King Valdemars channel follows the same route as the modern marked fairway, although there are still exciting parts to discover. Information is available from the Tourist Information Office.

Rental cabins at Ämtö in Gryt archipelago

The archipelago is an attractive place for those looking for an inexpensive holiday. Cabins with bathing and fishing almost on the doorstep are located on the south-east part of Ämtö, about 50 meters from the shore, with a view over the inner fairway, the "coastal E4". There are 12 cabins in the colony. Each is 20 square meters in size and is equipped for four persons, with bedding and kitchen utensils, electric heating, worktop oven and refrigerator. Smoking is forbidden in all the cabins. Close by is an amenities building with showers, toilets and washing-up facilities, a sauna, a small lounge with telephone, TV , books, a mini- shop, and rowing boats to rent free of charge. Ämtö also has marked rambling trails 3 km and 7 km long. This is the place to enjoy a really wonderful island holiday. The sun shines through the pine trees and newly caught perch is on the menu.

Cycle tour along a disused railway track

From 1906 to 1966, goods and passenger trains rumbled along the narrow-gauge railway between Valdemarsvik and Norrköping. Today, the old railway embankment between Valdemarsvik and Gusum, together with a branch to Birkekärr and Fallingeberg, has been made into a cycle and exercise trail. The trail winds through the countryside and cyclists are undisturbed by road traffic the whole way, except when crossing the E22 and road 738.
Leaving Valdemarsvik, the route passes Vammarmåla Kvarn with its salmon stair. The mill is used by the homestead association for displays. This is followed by an area of wetland which, together with the salmon stair, is part of a project aimed at increasing the natural stocks of trout in the river.
Birkekärr is the start of the extension to Fallingeberg, a very scenic part of the trail, especially at Fallingeberg Lake at the southeastern tip of Yxningen. This is a very good place for a picnic and a cool dip.
Cyclists heading for Gusum can visit the Konstglashyttan glassworks in the center of the village. The Metallslöjden and Bruksmuseet museums are on the E22 entering Gusum. The Tourist Information Office has further details on cycle trails and cycle rentals. 

Golf course in Gryt

Along road 212 between Valdemarsvik and Gryt is a nine-hole golf course in fine countryside just outside the village of Gryt itself. The course is extended to 18 holes.
From the golf course, it is only 1 km to the nearest bay on the coast. The distance to Eköns Camping, where there is sea bathing, and Fyrudden visitors harbour is about 3 km. There are bus services from Valdemarsvik and Fyrudden.

Accommodation

This brochure mentions only municipal accommodation such as camping grounds, visitors.harbours and the chalet colony at Ämtö. Private accommodation in Valdemarsvik includes hotels, boarding houses, chalets, bed & breakfast and youth hostels. For further details, see the enclosed list or contact the Tourist Information Office.

 

This is the right of public access in Sweden

The right of public access allows you to enjoy the Swedish countryside. Hut you must show consideration towards other people, animals, plants and wildlife.
As a rule of thumb, YOU MUST NOT DISTURB AND NOT DESTROY . You will keep weIl on the right side of the law in Sweden by following these few, simple rules:

  • You are, as a rule, permitted to walk a cross other people"s land and sail on their water provided you do not get too close to hou- ses or walk over gardens, land under seed or crops.
  • You are entitled to pick wild berries, mushrooms and wild flowers, provided they are not protected.
  • If you go through pastureland, you must close the gate behind you. Do not disturb the animals or damage the fence.
  • You must not, of course, rut down trees or bushes, nor are you allowed to break branches off trees or strip bark
  • You are permitted to swim, to tie up your boat and to go ashore, provided you do not go too close to houses or go ashore in a prohibited area
  • Do not camp close to houses. Ask the owner of the land for per- mission if you wish to pitch a tent or remain in one place for any length of time. Personal water craft Get skis or similar craft) may only be driven in areas specially designated by the County Administration Board.
  • You are allowed to fish with hand tackle along the coast. That does not apply to salmon fishing on the coast of Norrland howe- ver. You should inquire locally if a fishing license is required for inland lakes and streams.
  • You are not allowed to light a fire if there is any risk of the fire spreading. Never light a fire on bare rocks, they will crack and split.
  • Show consideration for animals and wildlife. Do not disturb nests and chicks. Always keep dogs under controI. During the pe- riod 1 March to 20 August, they must be kept leashed in the countryside.
  • You are not allowed to drive a car, a motorbike or moped off- road.
  • And, of course, don´t litter!
Sidan uppdaterad den 16 november 2009 Skicka kommentar

Valdemarsviks Kommun 615 80 VALDEMARSVIKTel: 0123-191 00Fax: 0123-191 04

Besöksadress: Storgatan 37. Skicka E-post till kommunen: